Answer in Brief
List out Jive uses each of bacteria and fungi in our lives.
The uses of Bacteria are :
- Lactobacillus bacteria are used for curdling of milk (formation of curd from milk). It converts the milk sugar (lactose) into lactic acid, giving the sour taste to the curd.
- Certain bacteria like Acetobacter ferment fruit juices into vinegar (acetic acid).
- Tanning of leather: Certain bacteria are used in the curing of animal hides and skin.
- Retting of fibers: Jute fibers are separated and made softer by the use of bacteria.
- Formation of compost and manure: Cow dung, horse dung, and agricultural wastes are subjected to bacterial action which causes their decay and produces very useful manure.
The uses of Fungi are:
- Fungi are an important source of food. Some mushrooms such as Morechella and Agaricus are edible.
- Yeast, a unicellular fungus, is important in bakeries as it is used in the making of bread. It is also important in the breweries for making alcohol.
- Yeast also produces vitamin B.
- Fungi, like bacteria, are also good decomposes. They decompose dead organic matter and return the nutrients back into the soil.
- Penicillin an important antibiotic is obtained from a fungus called Penicillium notatum.
Concept: Five Kingdom Classification
Is there an error in this question or solution?
Video Tutorials For All Subjects
- Five Kingdom Classification