(i) Derive the mathematical relation between refractive indices n1 and n2 of two radii and radius of curvature R for refraction at a convex spherical surface. Consider the object to be a point since lying on the principle axis in rarer medium of refractive index n1 and a real image formed in the denser medium of refractive index n2. Hence, derive lens maker's formula.
(ii) Light from a point source in air falls on a convex spherical glass surface of refractive index 1.5 and radius of curvature 20 cm. The distance of light source from the glass surface is 100 cm. At what position is the image formed?
A point object 'O' is kept in a medium of refractive index n1 in front of a convex spherical surface of radius of curvature R which separates the second medium of refractive index n2 from the first one, as shown in the figure
Draw the ray diagram showing the image formation and deduce the relationship between the object distance and the image distance in terms of n1, n2 and R.
When the image formed above acts as a virtual object for a concave spherical surface separatig the medium n2 from n1 (n2 > n1), draw this ray diagram and write the similar (similar to (a)) relation. Hence obtain the expression for the lens maker's formula.
Mrs. Rashmi Singh broke her reading glasses. When she went to the shopkeeper to order new spects, he suggested that she should get spectacles with plastic lenses instead of glass lenses. On getting the new spectacles, she found that the new ones were thicker than the earlier ones. She asked this question to the shopkeeper but he could not offer satisfactory explanation for this. At home, Mrs. Singh raised the same question to her daughter Anuja who explained why plastic lenses were thicker.
(a) Write two qualities displayed each by Anuja and her mother.
(b) How do you explain this fact using lens maker's formula?
- Ray Optics and Optical Instruments Part 9
undefined video tutorial00:53:03
- 29 Years NEET-AIPMT Chapterwise Solutions - Physics
- NEET/ AIPMT Physics - 4th Edition (Must for AIIMS & other Medical Entrance Exams)
- Marvel Physics - Multiple choice questions Vol - 1, For NEET (UG) / JEE (MAIN) Exams
- NEET MBBS / BDS Physics, Chemistry, Biology (3 in 1) Study Material & Previous years Solved Papers
- 29 Years NEET/AIPMT Topic wise Solved Papers PCB (1988 - 2016) Hindi
- Crack NEET/AIPMT Physics/Chemistry/Biology - Set of 3 Books (Must for AIIMS & Other Medical Entrance Exams)
- Topic wise Solved papers for Medical Entrance 2nd Edition (Kerala PMT/ AIPMT/ AIIMS/ JIPMER)