After watching a programme on TV about the presence of carcinogens (cancer causing agents) Potassium bromate and Potassium iodate in bread and other bakery products, Ritu a class XII student decided to aware others about the adverse effects of these carcinogens in foods. She consultanted the school principal and requested him to instruct canteen contractor to stop selling sandwiches, pizza, burgers and other bakery products to the students. Principal took an immediate action and instructed the canteen contractor to replace the bakery products with some proteins and vitamins rich food like fruits, salads, sprouts etc. The decision was welcomed by the parents and students.
After reading the above passage, answer the following questions:
1) What are the values (at least two) displayed by Ritu?
2) Which polysaccharide component of carbohydrates is commonly present in bread?
3) Write the two types of secondary structure of proteins.
4) Give two examples of water soluble vitamins.
1) Values displayed by Ritu are:
a) She is attentive towards the dangers.
b) She fulfilled her moral obligation by deciding to aware others about the adverse effect.
c) She went through proper channel (through principal) that shows her respect and trust in the institution.
2) Polysaccharide component commonly present in bread is starch.
3) The two types of secondary structure of proteins are α-helix and β-pleated sheet.
4) B group and C are water soluble vitamins.