What are plasticizers? Give its uses and examples.
Piasticizers are added to increase the plasticity and flexibility of the polymers.
The Plasticizer molecule occupies between the polymeric chains and neutralizes the intermolecular forces of attraction and thus allows freedom of movement. The functions of plasticizers are as follows:-
• Increases the plasticity of the plastics.
• Lowers the softening temperature and hence moulding and remoulding can be done at
• Imparts flames proofness.
• Reduces resistance towards chemical, solvents etc.
• Examples:- esters of fatty acids, vegetables oils etc.
The presence of small molecules of plasticizers reduces the attraction of the large polymer molecules for one another and thus permit more flexibility and easier slip.