What was India’s foreign policy towards the US and USSR during the Cold War era? Do you think that this policy helped India’s interests?
India’s foreign policy towards the US and USSR was two fold :-
1. Took particular care in staging away from the two alliances.
2. Raised voice against the newly decolonised countries becoming part of these alliances.
3. Moreover, India tried to reduce the differences and rivalries between these alliances from escalating into a full scale war.
Yes, this policy served India’s interests also :-
1. Non-alignment allowed India to take international decisions that served India’s interests rather than interests of superpowers and its allies.
2. India maintained a balance between two superpowers as if India felt ignored by one superpower it could tilt towards other superpowers.
3. Neither the alliance could take India for granted.