In what ways can changes in social structure lead to changes in the family structure?
The structure of family can be seen as social institution and also in its relationship to other social institution of society.
- The internal structure of the family is usually related to other structure of society i.e. political, economic, cultural, etc. Therefore any significant change in behaviour pattern of members of family may change the nature of society for example working schedules of young parents in the software industry in India may lead to increasing number of grandparents moving in as caregivers to the young grand children.
- The composition of the family and its structure thereby changes. And these changes can be understood in relation to other changes in society.
- The family (the private sphere) is linked to the economic, political, cultural and educational (the public) spheres.
- Sometimes the changes in the families and corresponding changes in the society occur accidently e.g. due to war or riots people migrate in search of work or for security reasons.
- Sometimes these changes are purposefully brought about, e.g. due to independence and openness of ideas, people choosing their jobs, life partner and life style and such changes are very frequent in the Indian society.
Concept: Family and Kinship
Is there an error in this question or solution?