CBSE Class 10CBSE
Share
Notifications

View all notifications

(C) Explain Why, Methanol is Much More Dangerous to Drink than Ethanol. - CBSE Class 10 - Science

Login
Create free account


      Forgot password?

Question

Explain why, methanol is much more dangerous to drink than ethanol.

 

Solution

Methanol is a poison when taken internally. Though both methanol and ethanol are metabolised by the liver, the rate of metabolism differs. Methanol gets oxidised to methanal in the liver, which rapidly reacts with the cell components and causes coagulation of protoplasm. As a result, the cells stop functioning causing death of the person who consumes methanol.

  Is there an error in this question or solution?

APPEARS IN

 Lakhmir Singh Solution for Chemistry for Class 10 (2019 Exam) (2018 to Current)
Chapter 4: Carbon And Its Compounds
Q: 26.3 | Page no. 263
Solution (C) Explain Why, Methanol is Much More Dangerous to Drink than Ethanol. Concept: Important Carbon Compounds - Ethanol.
S
View in app×