Answer in Brief
Identify the following diagram, label it and prepare a chart of characteristics.
Structure of stomata:
- Small gateways in the epidermal cells are called as stomata.
- Stoma is controlled or guarded by specially modified cells called guard cells.
- These guard cells may be kidney shaped (dicot) or dumbbell shaped (monocot), collectively called as stomata.
- Guard cells have chloroplasts to carry out photosynthesis.
- Change in turgor pressure of guard cells causes opening and closing of stomata, which enables exchange of gases and water vapour.
- Stomata are further covered by subsidiary cells.
- Stoma, guard cells and subsidiary cells form a unit called stomatal apparatus.
Concept: Anatomy of Root, Stem and Leaf
Is there an error in this question or solution?