Answer in Brief
Identify the animal given in the picture and write features of its phylum/class.
The organism is Herdmania and belongs to Phylum Chordata (Subphylum Urochordata).
Features of Phylum Chordata (Subphylum Urochordata):
- It is called a chordate as it shows the following features:
a. Presence of notochord at least in early embryonic life. (In Herdmania, the notochord is present in the tail of the larval forms).
b. Presence of hollow, dorsal nerve chord, running throughout the length of the body.
c. Presence of pharyngeal gill slits.
d. Presence of post-anal tail.
- Habitat: They are exclusively marine.
- Body covering: Soft body is covered by ‘test’ or ‘tunic’ which is made up of tunicate.
- Notochord: Notochord is present only in the tail of the larva and is lost during metamorphosis. Hence, the name Urochordata.
- Respiration: Pharynx with many gill slits for respiration.
- Circulation: Closed circulatory system is present.
- Reproduction: Development is indirect. e.g. Herdmania, Salpa, Doliolum, Ascidia.
Concept: Animal Classification
Is there an error in this question or solution?