Huma is working in a company on a permanent basis. As per the job agreement she had to work for 8 hours a day and was free to work overtime. Huma worked overtime, due to which she fell ill and had to take leave from her work. No one showed concern and enquired about her health. She realised that she was fulfilling only some of her needs while some other needs still remained to be fulfilled.
(1) By quoting the lines from the above para, identify the needs of Huma which she is able to fulfil.
(2) Also explain two other needs of Huma followed by the above needs, which still remained to be satisfied.
1) According to Maslow’s Needs Hierarchy Theory, the needs of an individual can be classified into five categories which can be arranged in a hierarchical order as physiological needs, security needs, belongingness needs, esteem needs and actualisation needs. Huma realised that she was fulfilling only ‘physiological and security needs’. Physiological needs are the most basic needs in the hierarchy of needs. It comprises needs which are essential for survival and sustenance. For example, need for food, clothing and shelter. In terms of an organisation, the requirement of a basic salary is a physiological need. Security needs are that an individual requires physical and
economic security. Huma has a permanent job which ensures complete security for her.
2) Two other needs of Huma (followed by the above needs) which still remained to be
satisfied are ‘belongingness needs’ and ‘esteem needs’.
- Belongingness needs refer to the social needs of an individual in terms of affection and acceptance.
- Esteem needs comprises the elements such as respect, dignity and recognition in the peer
Every individual yearns for social acceptance and belongingness as well as respect and acknowledgement in the peer group. In this situation, Huma falls sick and takes leave but no one showed concern and enquired about her health.
Video Tutorials For All Subjects
- Concept of Organising