Answer in Brief
Answer the following question in your own words.
How does food spoilage occur? Which are the various factors spoiling the food?
- The undesirable or disagreeable change in the state of food which makes it unsuitable for human and animal consumption is termed as food spoilage. Spoilage of food can be caused by various factors like:
- Microorganisms: Growth of microorganisms like bacteria, fungi etc. can lead to spoilage of food.
- Action of enzymes: Enzymes which are an inherent part of plant and animal tissue begin the decomposition process after the death of plant or animal. For example, a bananana starts to ripen and then spoil if it is not consumed on time.
- Infestation by insects: Insects like cockroaches may infest the food stuff and make them unsuitable for consumption. There is possiblity of transmission of pathogens from these insects.
- Wrong handling of products may also result in the spoilage of foodstuffs.
- Overcooking is another such reason for spoilage of foods.
Concept: Spoilage of Food
Is there an error in this question or solution?