Give scientific reason.
Though tortoise lives on land as well as in water, it cannot be included in class - Amphibia.
- Tortoise creeps on land as it cannot lift its body up.
- Unlike amphibians, the skin of the tortoise is dry and scaly.
- Neck is absent in amphibians but in tortoise, the neck is present between the head and trunk.
- The digits of tortoise have claws, which are absent in amphibians.
Thus, tortoise cannot be included in class - Amphibia, though it lives on land as well as in water and is included in class Reptilia.
Concept: Kingdom Animalia - Chordata: Vertebrata
Is there an error in this question or solution?
Video TutorialsVIEW ALL 
Video Tutorials For All Subjects
- Kingdom Animalia - Chordata: Vertebrata