Answer in Brief
Give an account of the Fourth Anglo Mysore war.
- The Fourth Anglo – Mysore War
Tipu Sultan did not forget the humiliating treaty of Srirangapatnam imposed upon him by Cornwallis in 1790.
- Tipu sought an alliance with foreign powers against the English and sent ambassadors to Arabia, Turkey, Afghanistan, and the French.
- Tipu was in correspondence with Napoleon who invaded Egypt at that time.
- The French officers came to Srirangapatnam where they founded a Jacobin Club and planted the Tree of Liberty.
- Wellesley declared war against Tipu in 1799. The war was short and decisive. As planned, the Bombay army under General Stuart invaded Mysore from the west.
- The Madras army, which was led by the Governor – General’s brother, Arthur Wellesley, forced Tipu to retreat to his capital Srirangapatnam.
- On 4th May 1799, Srirangapatnam was captured. Tipu fought bravely and was killed finally. Thus ended the fourth Mysore War and the whole of Mysore lay prostrate before the British.
- Mysore after the War:
- The English occupied Kanara, Wynad. Coimbatore. Darapuram and Srirangapattinam.
- Krishna Raja Odayar of the former Hindu royal family was brought to the throne.
- Tipu’s family was sent to the fort of Vellore.
Is there an error in this question or solution?