Explain various methods of weed control.
The four methods of weed control are as follows:
- Mechanical methods: These include the following methods : uprooting, weeding with trowel or ‘khurpi’ or harrow (a comblike implement), hand hoeing (scraping), interculture, ploughing, burning and flooding.
- Cultural methods: They include the following methods : proper bed preparation, timely sowing of crops, intercropping and crop rotation.
- Chemical methods: Chemical weed killers, called herbicides or weedicides, are sprayed on weeds to destroy (kill) them. This is called chemical control of weeds.
- Biological control: Biological control of weeds involves the deliberate use of insects or some other organisms which consume and specifically destroy the weed plants.
Is there an error in this question or solution?
Video Tutorials For All Subjects
- Crop Production Management - Cropping Patterns