Explain the statement with reasons.
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj charged heavy duty on the salt imported from the Portuguese territory.
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj was keen on protecting the local industries.
- He protected the salt industry in Konkan. At that time, traders imported salt from the Portuguese territory and sold in Swarajya.
- That affected the local trade in Konkan areas.
- Chh. Shivaji Maharaj charged heavy duty on the salt imported into Swarajya from the Portuguese territory.
- The intention was that the salt imported from the Portuguese territory would then cost more and as a r esult its import would be discouraged and the sale of the local salt would increase.
Is there an error in this question or solution?