Explain the overall performance of the National Commission.
National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC) National Commission
1. Level of functioning: National Level (Apex Body)
2. Members: 4+1 = 5 One – President Four – Members (One shall be a woman)
3. Who is the president?: The judge or retired judge of the supreme court
4. President Appointed by: Central Government
5. Members Eminence in the field of Public Affairs Public Administration Law – Accountancy – Commerce – Economics having Ability and Integrity
6. Jurisdiction: Compensation – claims. Above 1 crore. To entertain Appeal from State Commission
7. Powers :
- Can entertain appeals from the state commission.
- Can pass orders (Revise) in any consumer disputes pending of District forum and state commission.
- Can keep Books and Documents (Call for) from the District forum and state commission under its custody to pass appropriate orders.
8. Appellate forum:
- The National Commission may reverse or confirm the orders by the District forum and state commission.
- The aggrieved party can prefer an appeal against the National Commission (orders to the Supreme Court within 30 days)