Answer in Brief
Explain the information regarding Section 124(A).
The following is information about Section 124(A):
- On 25th November 1870, James Stephen added section 124(A) to Indian Penal Code. It is known as ‘Sedition Law’.
- This law declared that any act leading to insurgencies, such as using provocative words, writing, signs, or similar things against British rule was a crime, punishable with a fine or imprisonment, or a death sentence.
- ‘Bangvasi’ a weekly magazine was the first one to be charged with treason and tried under this law.
- On 15th June 1897 ‘Kesari’ the newspaper from Pune published a Poem, entitled, ‘Shivajiche Udgar’.
- This poem was supplemented by Lokmanya Tilak with his subsequent editorials. It included the editorials that appeared with titles like, ‘To Rule, Not to Take Revenge’ and ‘What is Treason?’.
- Lokmanya Tilak was the first editor in India to be arrested for treason and tried under Section 124(A).
Concept: 'Moderates' and 'Extremists'
Is there an error in this question or solution?