Explain the method of impressed current cathodic protection.
Impressed current cathodic protection is to convert anode to cathode by nullifying the rate of corrosion.The structure is connected to D.C.
- This is done by rectifying a.c ensuring the connection between anode and new electrode.
- Anode used is an inert material such as graphite,pt etc.
- Anode is buried in backfill such as gysum to increase the electrical contact between soil and metal.
- This protection is used for underground structures like water tanks,pipelines,transmission towers etc.
- The method is better and more efficient than sacrificial anode method.
Concept: Cathodic Protection Impressed Current Method
Is there an error in this question or solution?