Explain the interpretation of Charles Darwin when he observed a variety of smallblack birds on Galapagos Islands.
Charles Darwin observed a variety of small black birds called finches. By observing their characteristics on the Galapagos Islands, he proposed his famous theory known as the 'theory of natural selection'.
In this theory, he gave the following postulates:
- All organisms possess an enormous power of fertility.
- Food, space and resources are limited.
- There is a struggle for the existence within a species as well as between two different species.
- Nature will favour the survival of the fittest.
- No two individuals will be exactly identical except identical twins. Some variations will always exist.
- Darwin believed that variations will ultimately lead to the formation of new species.
Video Tutorials For All Subjects
- Darwin'S Contribution