Answer in Brief
Explain how techniques of disaster management are implemented in the events of earthquake.
Earthquake disaster management:
- All new building structures must be engineered structures to withstand ground shaking.
- Architectural and engineering inputs must be put together to improve building design and construction practice and do not build structures on soft soil.
- Building codes and standards including land use control and restriction on density and heights of buildings must be enforced.
- Retrofitting and strengthening of all lifeline buildings like hospitals must be done as they need to be functional after a disaster.
- Upgrading safety levels of all hospitals, fire service buildings and multi-storeyed building as per National Building code.
- Raising public awareness of the risks posed by earthquakes and the possible measures to manage these risks.
- Training NGOs, engineers, local builders, social and community leaders presently working in earthquake prone areas on preparedness and mitigation.
Concept: Disaster Management
Is there an error in this question or solution?