Explain Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj's resolute policy of safeguarding Maratha sovereignty.
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj took several steps to safeguard the Maratha empire.
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj created a strong naval force and constructed forts for e.g.. Hillforts, Sea forts, and Land forts.
- Henry Oxenden, a British agent who was present at the coronation of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj sought permission to open a factory at Rajapur.
- He also levied 2.5% octroi on British goods.
- An agreement was signed between the British and the Marathas on 12th June 1674.
- According to this agreement, the Marathas issued permission to open factories at Rajapur, Dabhol, Chaul, and Kalyan. He also prohibited the usage of British coinage.
- He also refuted some of the conditions put by the British such as the British goods found afloat from the wrecked ships should be returned to them and the Marathas should enter a treaty with the Siddis of Janjira.
- This clearly reveals his resolute policy of safeguarding Maratha sovereignty.
Concept: Colonialism Vs. the Maratha Empire
Is there an error in this question or solution?