Examine any six consequences of the disintegration of USSR.
1. These developments were accompanied by a rapidly escalating crisis within the USSR which hastened its disintegration.
2. Gorbachev initiated the policies of economic and political reform and democratisation within the country. Leaders within the Communist Party opposed the reforms.
3. A coup (Remove Gorbachev, capture power without people consent) took place in 1991 which was encouraged by Communist Party hardliners.
4. The people had tasted freedom by then and did not want the old-style rule of the Communist Party.
5. Power began to shift from the Soviet centre to the republics, especially in the more Europeanised part of the Soviet Union, which saw them as sovereign states.
6. The leadership of Yeltsin, Russia, Ukraine and Belarus, three major republics of the USSR, declared that the Soviet Union was disbanded.