During the reproductive cycle of a human female, when, where and how does a placenta develop? What is the function of placenta during pregnancy and embryo development?
During the reproductive cycle of human female, placenta develops after the implantation of zygote in the uterus.
1) Nutrition : It helps to transport nutrients from mother's blood to foetus for its development.
2) Respiration: It provides oxygen to the foetus and take CO2 away from the foetus.
3) Excretion: It helps in the removal of waste products from the foetus and transfers them to mother's blood.
4) Immunity: It provides immunity to the foetus. Antibodies developed in mother's blood passes onto the foetus through the placenta.
5) Storage: It stores some fats, glycogen and iron.
6) Secretion of hormones: It secretes many hormones like oestrogen, progesterone, gonadotropin and placental lactogen.
Video Tutorials For All Subjects
- Pregnancy and Embryonic Development