Study the population distribution map of Kolhapur district and answer the following questions:
(1) Which method has been used to show the distribution of population in the district?
(2) Explain the directionwise distribution of population from dense to sparse.
(3) What is the population shown by the largest circle ? Which place is that?
(4) Which Taluka has the least population?
(1) The Dot method has been used to show the distribution of population in the given Kolhapur district map.
(2) According to the given population distribution map of Kolhapur District, the population depicted in the map exhibits that the densely populated areas are in the North Eastern side of Kolhapur district. The population gradually decreases as one move towards the western and southern areas. The taluk Gaganbavada in the west has the least population while Kolhapur in the north-eastern part has the most population.
(3) The population represented by the largest circle equals around twenty lakhs of people as per the index in the given map. According to the given map, this population is present in the Kolhapur city which is part of the Kharvin Taluka.
(4) All talukas present in the western side of the map shows less population than those on the eastern side. According to the given index in the map, each dot represents 5000 population. A simple counting of dots within the boundary of each taluka would give an approximate value of the population in said taluka. As per this method, Taluka Gaganbavada has 8 dots within its administrative boundaries which implies that it has an approximate population of around 40,000 people. Thus, taluka Gaganbavada has the least population.