Why is energy needed ? How can we conserve energy resources ? Explain.
Energy is required to get the work done for all the activities including providing heat and light, cooking, propelling vehicles, driving machinery and so on. It is the basic requirement for economic development of any country. Every sector of the national economy, including agriculture, industries and services, needs the input of energy. It is generated through various sources like thermal power plants, hydroelectric power plants, solar energy and wind energy. It is also generated from fuel minerals like coal, petroleum and natural gas. Energy consumption has been rising steadily all over the country. Our energy requirements are continuously increasing with increase in population, rising demands, widespread industrialization, increased consumption and changes in transportation. Hence, there is an urgent need to look for alternative sources of energy like solar , wind and geothermal energy. There is also a need to conserve the available sources of energy as energy saved is energy produced.
Some steps that can be followed to save energy are as follows:
- Use of less-energy-consuming lights and bulbs at home, offices and public places
- Judicious use of the limited energy resources
- Search for alternative and non-conventional sources of energy
- Use of bio-gas for cooking and lighting in houses
- Use of solar cookers, solar heaters and solar cells instead of conventional sources like LPG