Discuss various indoor air pollutants.
Solvents and Chemicals: Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
- Perfumes, hair sprays, furniture polish, glues, air fresheners, moth repellents, wood preservatives
- Health effect is the imitation of the eye, nose and throat. Severe cases there may be headaches, nausea and loss of coordination, damage to the liver and other parts of the body.
Tobacco smoke: BAP (benzo[a]pyrene)
- Health effects are burning eyes, nose, and throat irritation to cancer, bronchitis, severe asthma, and a decrease in lung function.
- Pollen from plants, mite, hair from pets, fungi, parasites, and some bacteria.
- Health effects cause asthma, hay fever, and other allergic diseases.
- Carpets, particle boards, and insulation foam.
- Health effects is irritation to the eyes and nose and may cause allergies in some people.
- Health effects include irritation to eye, nose, and throat; damage to central nervous system and kidney, risk of cancer.
- Symptoms may include headache, dizziness, muscular weakness, and nausea.
- Chronic exposure to some pesticides can result in damage to the liver, kidneys, endocrine and nervous systems.
- Roofing shingles, ceiling and floor tiles, paper products, and asbestos cement products, heat resistant fabrics, packaging, gaskets, and coatings.
- Health effect is suspected to cause cancer.
- Soil, rocks beneath buildings or in certain building materials
- Radioactive particles can damage the cells that line the lung. Long-term exposure to radon can lead to lung cancer.
Is there an error in this question or solution?
Solution Discuss various indoor air pollutants. Concept: Sources of Air Pollution.