Answer in Brief
Discuss the problems of urbanisation.
- Housing and Slums:
There is a lack of space for housing and a marked reduction in the quality of housing in the urban areas due to increase in population.
- Over Crowding:
- Over – crowding leads to unhealthy environment in the urban areas.
- It also the cause of many diseases and riots.
- Water Supply, Drainage, and Sanitation:
- No city has round the clock water supply in the world.
- Drainage situation is equally bad.
- The removal of garbage is a Himalayan task for urban local bodies.
- Transportation and Traffic:
- The absence of planned and adequate arrangements for traffic and transport is another problem in urban centers.
- The increasing number of two-wheelers and cars make the traffic problem worse.
- Towns and cities are the major polluters of environment.
- Several cities discharge their entire sewage and industrial effluents untreated into the nearby rivers. Industries in and around the urban centers pollute the atmosphere with smoke and toxic gases.
Concept: Consequences of Urbanisation
Is there an error in this question or solution?