Describe the positive and negative effects of tides.
Positive effects of tides are as follows :
- With the high tides, fish move into the creeks and this helps fishing activity.
- The tides clear the waste and hence the coasts become clean.
- Due to tides, ports do not get filled with sediments.
- Ships can move up to the ports during high tide.
- During high tide, sea water can be stored in salt pans from which salt can be obtained.
- The tidal force can be used to generate electricity.
- The tides help in maintaining the mangroves and the coastal biodiversity. (B)
Negative effect of the tide is as follows:
A lack of an understanding of the timings of high tide and low tide may cause accidents to swimmers entering the sea.