Describe any four hormones secreted by Adenohypophysis.
i). Somatotropic Hormone (STH) / Somatotropin / Growth Hormone (GH): Secretion of GH is high till puberty later its secretion becomes low. However, it is continuously secreted throughout life for repair and replacement of body tissue or cells.
- It stimulates growth of the body and development of all tissues.
- It accelerates protein synthesis and cell division.
- It stimulates the release of growth hormone.
ii). Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) / Thyrotropin:
Function: It stimulates thyroid gland to produce hormone thyroxine.
iii). Adrenocorticotropic Hormone (ACTH) / Adrenocorticotropin:
- It stimulates adrenal cortex to produce its hormones.
- It maintains functioning of adrenal cortex.
iv). Prolactin / Luteotropin/ Mammotropin: Secretion of this hormone is regulated by PIF (Prolactin inhibiting factor) of hypothalamus.
- Activates the growth of mammary glands during pregnancy (mammotropin).
- Stimulates milk production and secretion of milk (lactogenic) by mammary gland after child birth.