Consonance and Assonance
Consonance: Repetition of consonant sounds within a word, phrase, or a short sentence.
For example: pitter-patter/chuckle-fickle/sick-duck/ Betty bought some bitter butter
Assonance: Repetition of vowel sounds within a word/ phrase/sentence.
For example: Jack had a bag. Men sell metal- kettle. Let the engineer steer without fear.
From the above poem pick out examples of consonance and of assonance within words/phrases.
- The steadfast coursing of the stars
- The waves that ripple to the shore
- The snow that falls so soft and light
- The rising and the setting sun
- All-natural things both live and move.
- The vigorous trees which year by year.
- Spread upwards more and more.
- The jewel forming in the mine.
- Only in our disordered life.