Write a note on erythrocytes.
RBC (Red Blood Corpuscles) or Erythrocytes:
- Erythrocytes are circular, biconcave and non-nucleated cells.
- Their diameter is 7μ and are 2.5μ thick.
- In adult male, RBC count is 5.1 to 5.8 million per cubic millimeter, while in female, it is 4.3 to 5.2 million per cubic millimeter.
- Normal life span of a single RBC is about 120 days.
- Formation of RBCs is called erythropoiesis.
- Erythropoiesis in foetus, takes place in yolk sac, kidney, spleen and liver while in adults, it takes place in red bone marrow.
- Stroma of RBC contains haemoglobin which helps in carrying respiratory gases.Old and worn out RBCs are destroyed in spleen and liver
Is there an error in this question or solution?
Solution Write a Note on Erythrocytes. Concept: Concept of Immunity.