Briefly discuss any five types of families.
Types of Families: Based on different attributes families can be of the following types :
Size: Joint and Nuclear. Depending on the size of a family it can either be :
- Joint Family: One which includes a husband and wife, their biological or adopted offsprings, grandparents and other relatives, all living together.
- Nuclear: Such a family is comprised of a husband and wife and their biological or adopted children.
Authority: Based on the criteria of authority family can be :
- Matriarchal: In this type of family, the female holds the highest status and authority of being the head of the family.
- Patriarchal: In this type, a male member holds the highest status, authority and decisive powers in the family.
Residence: Based on the form of residence a family can either be
- Matrilocal: In this type, the bride and groom, post-marriage reside in the bride’s mother’s house.
- Patrilocal: In this type, post-marriage the bride and groom stay at the groom’s father’s house.
Descent: Based on tracing of descent families can either be :
- Matrilineal: In this type, descent is traced along female line and the property is passed down along the female life. Thus descent is traced from the mother’s side.
- Patrilineal: In this type descent is traced along the father’s side and property is passed down along the male line.
Number of spouses: Based on this criteria families can either be :
- Monogamous: Families where one man marries only one woman at a given point of time.
- Polygamous: Families where a man or a woman are married to more than one spouse at a time.