List any five possible advantages of a GMO to a farmer.
Genetically modified plants have been useful to farmers in the following ways:
- Genetically modified crops are more tolerant to abiotic stress, which can be in the form of cold, drought, heat or salt.
- Crops that are made pest-resistant through genetic modification have reduced dependence on chemical pesticides.
- Genetic modification of crops has reduced post-harvest losses.
- Genetic modification has helped in increasing efficiency of mineral usage by plants. It has helped in maintaining the fertility of the soil for a longer duration.
- Genetic modification has helped in enhancing the nutritional value of crops, e.g. genetically modified variety of rice that is rich in vitamin A.
Is there an error in this question or solution?
Solution List Any Five Possible Advantages of a Gmo to a Farmer. Concept: Biotechnological Applications in Agriculture.