Are you a member of a certain group? Discuss what motivated you to join that group.
Yes, I am a member of a certain group.These are the factors which motivated me to join that group :-
1. Security :- When we are alone, we feel insecure. Groups reduce this insecurity. Being with people gives a sense of comfort, and protection. As a result, people feel stronger, and are less vulnerable to threats.
2. Status :- When we are members of a group that is perceived to be important by others, we feel recognised and experience a sense of power. Suppose your school wins in an inter-institutional debate competition, you feel proud and think that you are better than others.
3. Self-esteem :- Groups provide feelings of self-worth and establish a positive social identity. Being a member of prestigious groups enhances one’s self-concept.
4. Satisfaction of one’s psychological and social needs :- Groups satisfy one’s social and psychological needs such as sense of belongingness, giving and receiving attention, love, and power through a group.
5. Goal achievement :- Groups help in achieving such goals which cannot be attained individually. There is power in the majority.
6. Provide knowledge and information :- Group membership provides knowledge and information and thus broadens our view. As individuals, we may not have all the required information. Groups supplement this information and knowledge.