Why are sugar mills concentrated in sugarcane producing areas? Explain any three problems faced by sugar industry in India.
Sugar mills are usually located near the sugarcane feilds because sugarcane is a heavy , weight loosing and a perishable comodity. Therefore if the mills are located far away the sugarcane loses its sucrose content needed for producing sugar.
The following are the challenges faced by the sugar industry in India:
• Shortage in sugarcane supply,
• Obsolete technologies,
• Low capacity utilization,
• Poor financial performance,
• Poor transport facilities,
• Discriminatory government policies.