Answer the question:
What is meant by satellite launch vehicles? Explain a satellite launch vehicle developed by ISRO with the help of a schematic diagram.
- The vehicles with the help of which the satellites are placed in their specific orbits are called satellite launch vehicles.
- Polar satellite launch vehicle (PSLV) designed by ISRO is shown in the figure below. This PSLV is a four-stage satellite launch vehicle. Each of these stages contains fuel that is burned and each stage is detached from the vehicle after reaching a specific height. There is a place at the top of the fourth stage, to keep the polar satellite to be launched.
- Amongst the four stages, first stage along with six rocket booster engines provides the initial thrust to the launcher. This stage contains solid fuel.
- The second and fourth stages have liquid fuel in them, whereas, the third stage works on the solid fuel.
- The second and third stages increase the velocity of the PSLV and help it attain the desired height. The fourth i.e., the last stage sets the satellite into its desired orbit.
Concept: Launching of Satellite
Is there an error in this question or solution?