Answer in Brief
Answer the following question.
With help of a neat labelled diagram, describe the female reproductive system of cockroach.
- Female reproductive system of cockroach consists a pair of ovaries, a pair of oviducts, a vagina, spermatheca, and accessory glands.
- Ovaries are primary reproductive organs. They are paired and lie laterally in position in 2nd - 6th abdominal segments. Each ovary is formed of a group of 8 ovarian tubules or ovarioles, containing a chain of developing ova. All ovarioles of an ovary open in the lateral oviduct of the respective side.
- The lateral oviducts unite to form a common oviduct or vagina. Common oviduct or vagina opens into the Bursa copulatrix (genital chamber), the female organ of copulation.
- Spermatheca, is a sperm storing structure present in the 6th segment that opens into the genital chamber. It receives the sperms during copulation and stores them for fertilization.
- Collaterial glands are accessory paired glands that open in the genital chamber.
- Female gonapophyses consist of six chitinous plates surrounding the genital pore.
Concept: Reproduction System
Is there an error in this question or solution?