Answer the following question:
List the important products of the Chlor-alkali process. Write one important use of each.
There are three products that are produced in the Chlor-alkali process, which are Sodium Hydroxide(NaOH), chlorine gas (Cl2) and hydrogen gas(H2).
Uses of sodium hydroxide:
1. It is used in the manufacturing of paper.
2. It is used for making soaps and detergents.
Uses of chlorine gas:
1. It is used in the production of bleaching powder.
2. It is used to make plastics(PVC), pesticide chlorofluorocarbon(CFCs), chloroform, carbon tetrachloride, Paints.
Uses of hydrogen gas:
1. It is used as a fuel for rockets.
2. It is used in the hydrogenation of oils to obtain vegetable ghee.
Video Tutorials For All Subjects
- Chemicals from Common Salt (Uses of Salt) - Preparation and Uses of Sodium Hydroxide