Answer in Brief
Answer the following question in detail.
What were the social reforms on which Raja Ram Mohan Roy put a great emphasis?
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy was born in Bengal.
- Translated Sanskrit Upanishads into Bengali
- He was a witness to his brother's wife immolating herself on her husband's funeral pyre and this incident made him raise his voice against this evil social custom which according to him is not mentioned in any of the religious scriptures as a prescribed social obligation.
- It was due to the efforts of Raja Ram Mohan Roy that a law was passed by the Governor-General of Bengal Lord William Bentinck abolishing Sati in 1829.
- He was also opposed to child marriage and purdah, opened an English medium school. launched the first periodical in Bengali and also another publication in Persian.
- He started 'Atmiya Sabha', a philosophical discussion circle,' Brahmo Samaj in 1828.
- He spoke in support of the anti-colonial movements in Spanish colonies in South America.
- Ram Mohan Roy laid the foundation of modernity in India.
- Organisations like Manav Dharma Sabha, Paramahamsa Sabha, and Dnyanprasar Sabha were inspired by his work.
Concept: Call for Social and Religious Reforms
Is there an error in this question or solution?