Answer the following question in detail.
What knowledge was essential for the neolithic people to make pottery?
- The neolithic pottery, in the beginning, was in monochrome (single colour) with a burnished i.e., polished by running with a wooden or stone tool, surface. Some pots had carved designs.
- The techniques of stamping and applique work i.e., pasting wet clay ribbons and making patterns on them were also used.
- Painted designs on pots in the latter half of the neolithic age, made pottery art that required special skills.
- To master the art of pottery-making one needs to possess knowledge of the following things -
(a) To know the source of clay of excellent quality.
(b) To manage to obtain clay.
(c) To knead and prepare the clay for pottery production.
(d) To be able to turn the pot to the desired shape.
(e) To have artistic skill for decorating the pottery.
(f) To know the technique of baking pottery at proper temperatures, approximately 850° - 900° celsius.
- Pottery helps us to know the cultural history, the material richness of the place, where it was found.
- With the help of pottery, we can also know about the contacts of the residents of the place with other cultures.
Concept: The First Farmers in India
Is there an error in this question or solution?