Answer the following question:
Explain the characteristics of rural settlements.
- On the basis of functions, settlements can be divided into two types - rural and urban.
- Agriculture and allied agricultural activities like fishing, livestock rearing, lumbering, etc., are most economic activities in rural areas.
- The classification of land use in rural areas is done according to the Land Records Department.
- As per Land Records Department the land in rural areas is mainly used for activities related to agriculture, such as some land is under agriculture, some under permanent pastures and grazing lands or some under tree crops or culturable waste-land or fallow land, etc.
- Most of rural settlements are semi-clustered or fragmented and small in size.
- Primary activities like agriculture, lumbering, fishing, livestock rearing are more developed in rural settlements.
- In rural areas, sometimes agricultural areas are converted into residential or industrial areas.
- Many people in rural areas daily commute to city areas for work, thus rural and urban areas are connected with each other.
- There is an area between rural and urban areas which is called the rural-urban fringe, rural settlements are beyond the rural-urban fringe.