Answer the following
Give the similarities and differences in elements of 3d, 4d, and 5d series.
- Similarities in physical properties:
All d block elements are lustrous and shining.
They are hard and have a high density.
They have high melting and boiling points.
They are good electrical and thermal conductors.
They have high tensile strength and malleability.
They can form alloys with transition and non-transition elements.
Many metals and their compounds are paramagnetic.
Most of the metals are efficient catalysts.
- Similarities in chemical properties:
- All d block elements are electropositive metals.
- They exhibit variable valencies and form coloured salts and complexes.
- They are good reducing agents.
- They form insoluble oxides and hydroxides.
- Iron, cobalt, copper, molybdenum, and zinc are biologically important metals.
- They catalyse biological reactions.
Although most properties exhibited by d block elements are similar, the elements of the first row differ from second and third rows in the stabilization of higher oxidation states in their compounds.