Answer in Brief
Answer in detail:
Examine the impact of migration on the population structure of a country.
- In migration, people move from one place to another for different reasons.
- The place from where people migrate outside is called the donor region.
- The place where people migrate to is called the recipient region,
- Due to the migration of people, there are changes in age structure and sex ratio in both regions.
- In the donor region, due to the migration of the young male population, there is a disturbance in the age structure.
- More females remain in the donor area. So, the donor area has a high sex ratio. In India, there is a high sex ratio in rural areas due to the migration of people from rural to urban areas.
- In the donor region, there are changes in age structure as well.
- More old age people and children remain in the donor region, which is a non-working/ non-productive population.
- There is a shortage of the working population.
- In the recipient region, the male population increases due to the migration of males into the region.
- As a result, the sex ratio in the recipient region goes down. In many big cities in India, the sex ratio is less than 85% or 90%.
- In the recipient region, the percentage of the working population increases.
- There is a more working population than the non-working population, which helps the region's economic development.
Concept: Impact of Migration on Population
Is there an error in this question or solution?