Answer in brief.
State any four features of money market
The money market is a market for lending and borrowing of funds for short-term which varies from one day to a year.
The features of the money market are as follows:
1) The funds borrowed and lent in the money market are for the short-term. The maximum period for which the funds are traded in the market is one year.
2) It is a wholesale market for short-term debt as the transaction volume is large.
3) Trading may take place over the telephone, after which written confirmation is done by way of e-mails.
4) Participants of the money market include RBI, commercial banks, mutual funds, financial institutions, primary dealers, and corporates.
5) There is an impersonal relationship between the participants of the money market.
6) Money market has no geographical area i.e. there is no fixed place for carrying out transactions.
7) The instruments of the money market can be converted easily into cash or have very short maturity periods. Moreover, the returns on investment are also low.
8) Major segments of the money market are
i. Call money market
ii. Certificate of deposits market
iii. Treasury bill market
iv. Commercial bill market
v. Commercial papers market