Answer the following questions in your own words.
Write the characteristics of the plants belonging to division Bryophyta.
The characteristics of bryophytes are-
- They are the first plants to live on land, but require moist conditions to survive. For this reason they are called ‘the amphibians of plant kingdom’.
- They are non-vascular, i.e., they do not have specialized vascular tissues (xylem and phloem) for the conduction of water and food.
- They lack true roots, stem and leaves. But, they show more body differentiation than thallophytes.
- They have rhizoids instead of true roots.
- They do not bear flowers and seeds.
- They reproduce both sexually as well as asexually.
- Bryophytes exhibits 'alternation of generations' in which gametophytic phase (haploid) alternates with sporophytic phase (diploid).
- Examples of bryophytes: Riccia, Marchantia, Funaria
Is there an error in this question or solution?
Solution Answer the Following Questions in Your Own Words. Write the Characteristics of the Plants Belonging to Division Bryophyta. Concept: Basis for Classification : Cryptogams.