Answer the following Question:
Define and explain the nature of Staffing.
Introduction: - Staffing is that part of the process of management which is concerned with acquiring, developing, employing, appraising, remunerating and retaining people, so that the right type of people are available at the right position and at right time in the organization. The right man for the right job is the basic principle of staffing. In the simplest terms staffing is “putting right people to right jobs”.
Definition: - ““The staffing function pertains to the recruitment selection, development, training and compensation of subordinate managers”. Defined by… (Theo Haiman)
The Nature of Staffing can be briefly explained as follows
- Important managerial function: - Staffing functions the most important managerial function along with planning, organizing, directing and controlling. The functioning of these four functions depends upon the manpower which is available through staffing function.
- Pervasive Activity: -Staffing function is carried out by all the managers and in all types of organization where business activities are carried out. It relates from top-level management to middle-level managers and finally to the lower level subordinates.
- Continuous Activity: - Staffing function continues throughout the life of an organization. It includes recruitment, transfer, promotions, etc. of the employees in an organization..
- Efficient Management of Personnel: -Human resources can be effectively managed by a system i.e. recruitment, selection, placement, training and development providing remuneration, etc. all this provides a motivational force to the employee leading to the betterment of the organization as a whole.
- Right Men at the Right Job: - it can be done effectively through proper recruitment procedures and then finally selecting the most suitable candidates as per the job requirements. Staffing aims at selecting the right men for the right job at the right time.
- Essential at all Levels: -Staffing function is performed by all the managers depending upon the nature of business, size of the company, qualification, and skills of managers, etc. in small organizations the top-level management generally performs this functions.
- Related with Human Resource Management: -This is mainly related with the people and not like planning, organizing, etc. which is related with paperwork. It is concerned with the managers and employees of the organization.
- Social Responsibility: -This function is related with the recruitment, selection, training, etc. of the people. So it becomes the social responsibility of the person or department concerned with all the activities that they have to be impartial (fair) in taking proper and correct decisions.
- Result Oriented: -Staffing function aims at right job for the right person. It is always advisable to recruit a specialized person for a specialized job. Specialized persons always bring excellent results for the organization.
- Motivation: -Staffing function helps to provide motivation to the employees by providing them timely training, promotion, etc. employees accomplish their targets in the given time may be rewarded with monetary or non-monetary incentives by the organization.