Answer the following in 25 to 30 words.
Explain the functions of the Speaker of Lok Sabha.
The Speaker of the Lok Sabha is called the Presiding officer of the Lok Sabha. His or her main functions are:-
- To preside over the meetings of Lok Sabha, ensure and maintain discipline in the Lok Sabha.
- To determines the agenda of the Lok Sabha in consultation with the leader of the house, allotting time for debates and selecting members who would participate in it.
- To certify whether a bill is a money bill or not, to cast a vote in case of a tie.
- To interpret the rules of procedure of the house and gives his rulings. His ruling is final.
- According to the 52nd Constitutional Amendment Act 1985, the Speaker determines whether a member of the Lok Sabha is to be disqualified on the ground of defection.
- The Speaker is the head of the Parliamentary committees. He appoints the chairman of several committees.
- He is the spokesman of the Lok Sabha, and he represents it in all ceremonial functions.
Concept: The Indian Parliament
Is there an error in this question or solution?