Answer in Brief
Answer each of these questions in about two hundred and fifty words:
Write down the features of stock exchanges.
- Association of persons: A stock exchange is an association of persons or body of individuals which may be registered or unregistered.
- Recognition from central government: Stock exchange is an organized market. It requires recognition from the Central Government.
- Market for securities: Stock exchange is a market, where securities of corporate bodies, government and semi-government bodies are bought and sold.
- Deals in second hand securities: It deals with shares, debentures, bonds and such securities already issued by the companies. In short, it deals with existing or second hand securities and hence it is called secondary market.
- Regulates trade in securities: Stock exchange does not buy or sell any securities on its own account. It merely provides the necessary infrastructure and facilities to its members and brokers who trade in securities. It regulates the trade activities so as to ensure free and fair trade.
- Allow dealings only in listed securities: In fact, stock exchanges maintain an official list of securities that could be purchased and sold on its floor. Securities which do not figure in the official list of stock exchange are called unlisted securities. Such unlisted securities cannot be traded in the stock exchange.
- Transactions effected only through members: All the transactions in securities at the stock exchange are effected only through its authorized brokers and members. Outsiders or direct investors are not allowed to enter in the trading circles of the stock exchange. Investors have to buy or sell the securities at the stock exchange through the authorized brokers only.
- Working as per rules: Buying and selling transactions in securities at the stock exchange are governed by the rules and regulations of stock exchange as well as SEBI Guidelines. No deviation from the rules and guidelines is allowed in any case.
- Specific location: Stock exchange is a particular market place where authorized brokers come together daily (i.e. on working days) on the floor of market called trading circles and conduct trading activities. The price of different securities traded are shown on electronic boards. After the working hours market is closed. All the working of stock exchange is conducted and controlled through computers and electronic system.
- Financial barometers: Stock exchanges are the financial barometers and development indicators of national economy of the country. Industrial growth and stability is reflected in the index of stock exchange.
Concept: Stock Exchange
Is there an error in this question or solution?