Anshu feels that assertive and successful women might become too powerful and neglect their family responsibilities. Explain the factors that will help in changing Anshu’s attitude towards assertive and successful women.
(i) Characteristics of the Existing Attitude:
- Positive attitudes are easier to change than negative attitudes.
- Extreme attitudes and central attitudes are more difficult to change than the less, extreme and peripheral attitudes. Simple attitudes are easier to change than multiple attitudes.
(ii) Source Characteristics:
- Source credibility and attractiveness are two features that affect attitude change.
- Attitudes are more likely to change when the message comes from a highly credible source rather than from a low credible source. e.g., car sales may increase if they are publicized by automobile experts.
(iii) Message Characteristics:
- The message is the information that is presented in order to bring about an attitude change. Whether the message contains a rational or an emotional appeal for example makes a difference.
- The motive of the message also determines the possibility of change, e.g., drinking milk may be said to make a person healthy.
(iv) Target Characteristics:
- Qualities of the target, such as persuasibility, strong prejudices, self-esteem and intelligence influence the likelihood of attitude change.
- Open and flexible personality change more easily.
- People with strong prejudices are less prone to any attitude change.