An element Z has atomic number 16. Answer the following questions on Z:
1) State the period and group to which Z belongs
2) Is Z a metal or a non-metal?
3) State the formula between Z and hydrogen
4) What kind of a compound is this?
An element Z having atomic number 16 is Sulphur
1) Sulphur belongs to Period 3 and Group 16.
2) Sulphur is a non-metal.
3) Two hydrogen atoms combine with one sulphur atom to form hydrogen sulphide (H2S) gas
4) Hydrogen sulphide is the chemical compound with the formula H2S. It is a colourless gas with the characteristic foul odour of rotten eggs; it is heavier than air, very poisonous, corrosive, flammable and explosive.